In the Live 8 beta forums there was a bunch of discussion about having some kind of spectrum analyzer built into the EQ plugin. Many other DAWs have this, and the Live 8 beta seemed like a reasonable place to ask for this feature.
It occured to me (and I posted to this effect) that you could get what you wanted by making yourself a rack. Here's how:
- Starting with an empty set, drag EQ8 onto an audio track (not a preset).
- Right-click and select group (or hit Cmd-G). You now have a rack.
- Drag a Spectrum and drop it on the EQ (it'll slot in behind the EQ in the chain).
- Click the Macro button, click Map Mode.
- Click the Spectrum On/Off button and then click Map under the first knob.
- Right click the title of the first knob (or hit Cmd-R) and rename the knob to Spectrum On
- Click Map Mode again and you're pretty much done.