2009-11-30

Geo-blocking Bullshit


I am a fan of the band Animal Collective.  Today, (for the nth time) I looked up their latest album on emusic.com and got this:
We're sorry. This album is unavailable for download in your country (Canada) at this time. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
I've complained directly about this before.  Once to an artist.  They didn't respond.  Another  sent to emusic who were kind enough to send this corporate bullshit speak:
eMusic shares in your frustration with the inability of international customers to access all of the content offered on our site.   Many labels sign geographic-based distribution deals that limit worldwide distribution of a particular album.  That is the reason that some albums are available worldwide while others are limited to certain geographic regions.
So to whoever is responsible for this sorry state of affairs.  You are retarded.

I suppose I could get off my ass and buy the CD in a store.  Not likely.  Turns out there aren't that many stores that have interesting CDs in them anymore.  The cool ones that do are in the city getting to them is a full-on event.  I could buy from iTunes.  Not.  Won't on principle.  Between DRM and their pricing I'm just not interested.  I could torrent/steal it.  Not.  I'm an adult now and I think it's ok to pay for music.

I get 100 tracks per month (subscription) from emusic.  Honestly, I have trouble absorbing them all.  Between working for a living, working on my own stuff, listening to the music of my friends, and commercial music I am practically drowning.

So if you're unwilling to sell me your album, that's just fucking fine.  You will not be missed.

1 comment:

Breaking Light said...

I'm with you on this, bro. I dropped emusic like a rock when they changed their pricing structure and went with the major labels. Want a song more than 10 minutes long? Gotta buy the whole album now.