2008-12-19

Buy Fish Or Learn To Fish

In the life of the home recordist, there are many temptations.  They come to us via emails, websites, magazine ads and reviews.  All selling gear.  Software synths, sound libraries, hardware synths, control surfaces, better preamps, outboard effects, the list goes on.

All of these things are super cool and I'm sure they are great.  But here's my New Year's Resolution.  Learn to use the things I have better.

To that end, I have three recommendations.  In no particular order:
  • there are a bunch of really useful videos by SFLogicNinja that will help you get the most out of Logic.  These are freely available on youtube.
  • another bunch of really useful videos for users of Ableton Live from The Covert Operators.  These videos are not free (subscription service 5 Euros/month) but they are really awesome in that the techniques they show actually inspire creativity.  I've been a subscriber for 4 months and I am very happy.
  • music lessons; stop talking about how you don't play an instrument well or how you're lacking in music theory and fix it!  For my part, I'm gonna finally take guitar lessons.  Watch out world!
Of course having said all that, I'd really like it if Santa brought Kore 2 + Komplete for me :-)

No comments: